Self-Employed Assistance Scheme (SEAS)
The SEAS is an economic measure by the Government of Mauritius to assist self-employed persons who have suffered a loss of revenue as a consequence of the lockdown following the COVID-19 pandemic.
The scheme is applicable to self-employed individuals who are in business and tradespersons operating in the informal sector, e.g. masons, cabinet makers, plumbers, hairdressers and artists provided the self-employed or tradesperson is a Mauritian national above 18 years of age and who has been economically active for the last 3 months.
The following individuals are NOT eligible to the assistance:
- an individual who is an employee, whether full-time or part-time;
- a person who is eligible to receive basic retirement pension;
- an individual who receives monthly social benefits;
- an individual pursuing higher studies on a full time basis;
- a person who is a dependent spouse;
- a person who was unemployed at the beginning of March 2020;
- an individual who forms part of a household having total monthly income (including passive income, e.g rent, dividends, interests or profits) exceeding Rs. 50,000;
- an individual who is in a business where he earns only passive income, e.g rent; or
- a fisherman.
Eligible self-employed individuals and tradespersons will receive a financial support of Rs 5,100 for the period 16 March 2020 to 15 April 2020. All payments will be credited to the applicant’s bank account.
Pre-requisite (please read this section carefully before applying)
In order to apply for SEAS, an applicant should ensure that he has his National Identity Card, his mobile phone and his bank account details at hand. On providing the required information, a one-time password (OTP) will be sent on the mobile phone number provided and the OTP will have to be entered in order to proceed with the application.
In processing the applications under SEAS, the MRA will carry out internal checks to verify the correctness of claims. Thereafter, MRA will credit the amount to the bank account of the applicant.